September 23rd, 2011Culture
Recently, Culture24 Action Research Project Let’s Get Real held a conference in Bristol where it launched the tremendously insightful report ‘How to Evaluate Online Success?’ Report, findings & recommendations.
I’m still reading the in-depth report but a few things I’ve found so far:
- Measure quality or value, rather than use usage online.
- Some institutions outsource their Google Analytics to a third party.
- Mobile traffic was, for every museum, growing rapidly.
- Automated shortening of URLS to t.co in August 2011 will allow for better reports on Twitter-based traffic.
- Very few organizations set up goals in GA.
- Search traffic was still the main avenue visitors used to find sites (another reminder of the importance of SEO). This was picked up on when discussion lead to importance/useage of homepage in today’s society.
- Mobile traffic is growing. Institutions need to move this priority from back burner to front burner.
- Social media should be renamed Engagement strategy – social media only works when you engage with the followers.
- The formula for Facebook engagement, while looking like something out of Quantative Maths, really is a simple breakdown that is very easy to follow. (Kudos to the designer of the formula though!).
- Simply having a social media strategy is not enough – strategy needs to be ‘targeted and effective’ eg not written with business hat on.
As always, throughout the conference, there were a lot of tweets. I pdf’d majority of them here with some of my favorites being:
#c24lgr @tomux If you aim for the moon and only get half way that is still impressive (Love this statement).
#c24lgr @tomux Be engaged and be involved in the community.
#c24lgr You’re always in beta at best <~ so true! Need a working document but not many get to end goal.
The following blogs and links are must reads:Tags: Culture24, Google Analytics, social media, Social media strategy