For those who don’t know, Young Rewired State Festival of Code is:
Young Rewired State is a worldwide community of digital makers aged 18 and under. We introduce them to like-minded peers, and expert mentors, at free events around the world, where they use freely available open data to build apps, websites and algorithms to solve real world challenges.
Young Rewired State aims are to (from their website):
- Find and foster a community of young coders and digital makers
- Get them ‘civic hacking’ together: using their skills, to improve their communities
- Promote peer to peer learning
- Provide a fun, inclusive and supportive environment
- Equip these young people with the skills to become the tech stars of tomorrow
I’ve heard and followed YRS for a few years but it always seemed like I was travelling during the events. But this year Emma and Ruth caught me early in the planning and I was able to put it pride and place in my calendar. I was honoured to be asked to be a judge even though I had no idea what that meant….
When I arrived at ICC in Birmingham, a place I have been to many times, I felt an electric vibe I have never felt before. I walked up the to the main floor of the event and BAM! The explosion of excitement hit an elevation I didn’t know possible. Kids coding, excitedly, happily – with a splash of annoyance when it wasn’t working. Read the rest of this entry »Tags: #foc2015, coding, coding for kids, digital, ideas, Mentors, tech, UK, young rewired state, youngrewired